The main objectives of the action is to design and to develop a pre-deployment pilot for an interoperable ICT platform (the “MIELE Middleware”) able to interface ICT systems (i.e. single windows, port community systems) in Italy, Portugal, Spain, Cyprus and Germany (the “National Vertical Pilots”).
The Action, which is a study taking the form of a Pilot action, will include:
- mapping the needs of relevant stakeholders
- designing and developing the MIELE middleware
- adapting, upgrading and integrating existing ICT systems in order to be interoperable with the MIELE middleware
- achieving and demonstrating systems interoperability through the MIELE middleware
- designing the framework for the exploitation of the MIELE middleware and the possible full deployment of its services after the completion of this pilot action
The Action is organised in two parts:
- PART A (activities 1 and 2) – Verification of existing ICT systems and pre-implementation phase of the pilot
- PART B (activities 3 and 4) – Deployment of a full-scale, integrated and interoperable demonstrator (MIELE Middleware Demonstrator) resulting from the integration of the 5 National Vertical Pilots with the MIELE Middleware according to the specifications of Action PART A
The continuation of the fiancial aid from PART A to PART B is conditional to the approval by the TEN-T Agency of the results of Part A, which should demonstrate the feasibility of the deployment of a full-scale, integrated and interoperable demonstrator (MIELE Middleware Demonstrator).
State of progress on 31 December 2011:
The project is progressing as planned. A Peer Review Group met in Brussels in 20-21 February 2012 and assessed the results of Part A and the feasibility of the Part B of the Action. The overall conclusions of the PRG were that Part A was successful and that Part B can be implemented, taking into consideration certain recommendations. The TEN-T Executive Agency acknowledged the results of the peer review and approved the results of Part A.
Total project cost covered by this Decision:
Percentage of EU support:
Download the Info Sheet about this project:
.pdf (233.6 KB)
This project was also the subject of a press release issued by the Agency.
|Click map to view enlarged version|
Member States involved:
Italy, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Cyprus
Start date: September 2010
End date: December 2013
Beneficiaries & Implementing bodies:
Coordinator’s Report of the Priority Project
European Commission, DG MOVE