The Action forms part of a global project aiming at the development of the Northern Italy Waterway System (Po River and connected canals) towards class Va and at its multimodal interconnection with existing road, rail and sea axes of European relevance.
The Action is located in a busy and central part of the waterway system, namely the canal connection between Mantova and the Adriatic Sea, along the following two segments:
- Fissero-Tartaro-Canal Bianco
The objectives are to improve the accessibility of the industrial pole of South East Lombardy, to foster the interoperability of the Valdaro port area with road and rail networks and to increase the efficiency and safety of navigation.
• Building a new chamber lock at Brondolo
• Constructing 2 new chamber locks at Cavanella
• Setting up an automation and remote control system of the chamber locks in the Veneto segment
• Building a new chamber lock in the area of Valdaro
• Development and connection of the Port of Mantova Valdaro
• Building a new road connection between the Port of Mantova and the Brennero Motorway A22
State of progress on 31 December 2011:
At Brondolo Nuova, a new bridge has been built and tested in July 2010; the excavation has been completed in July 2011. The works for the construction of the lock chambers at Cavanella d'Adige and Valdaro are well advanced and should be completed in 2012. A fixed bridge will be built on the Canal di Valle. The system of remote control and management of the lock chambers is in place and is operational since June 2011. The works to improve the port of Mantova-Valdaro have progressed significantly and should be completed in the course of 2012.Works on the road connection of the Mantova-Valdaro industrial area to the highway A22 are on-going.
Read the March 2013 detailed update on the works!
Total project cost covered by this Decision:
Percentage of EU support:
Download the Info Sheet about this project:
.pdf (464.9 KB)