The Action concerns the improvement of 24 km of the main road 5 between Lusi and Mikkeli. Some sections are constituted by a narrow two-lane road (8 m wide) with poor geometry and visibility and where safe overtaking is impossible. Currently the majority of the road junctions are road level junctions and only a few of them are grade-separated.
Considerable interventions are planned, such as the construction of grade-separated interchanges, bridges, underpasses and parking areas.
In addition, the following improvement activities are foreseen:
• Construction of six new passing lanes and improving the four existing ones
• Building three road sections with a new alignment
• Building 24 km of parallel roads for pedestrians, cyclists and slow agricultural traffic
• Road-lighting - between Koirakivi and Vihantasalmi and at the grade-separated junctions of Uutela and Toivola
• Construction of noise barriers
• Building a 40 km elk-proof fence near the new passing lanes (an almost continuous fence on both sides of the road)
The main objectives of the Action are to:
• decrease congestion
• improve traffic safety
• ensure fast and undisturbed connections for public transport
• improve the connections and safety of pedestrians and cyclists
• eventually be able to increase the speed limit to 100 km/h
This project has been completed.
Total project cost covered by this Decision:
Percentage of EU support:
Download the Info Sheet about this project:
.pdf (279.8 KB)